The History of RAE Bedford
An illustrated presentation by Barry Tomlinson
We will be presenting this talk via Zoom
At present all visits are cancelled
due to Coronavirus risk.
Members’ Photographic Competition
Great News! There will be a photo competition this year.
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic greatly reducing the opportunity for aviation photography at air shows etc, any photograph taken in the last 15 years will be eligible.
- Aviation is the theme.
- A maximum of 4 images can be submitted per member.
- All photographs must be digital – jpeg format.
- Image size in pixels should be around 1400 x 1050.
- Each photo should have a title.
- Entries should not have been previously submitted.
- All entries to be emailed to Peter Wood at firstname.lastname@example.org
- All entries to be received by end November 2020.
- Competition is open to members only.
Here are the top two from the last competition.
John Romain’s Spitfire “NHS Thank You” flights continue over Silverstone
John Romain’s highly praised “NHS Thank You” flights originated in East Anglia but have since been carried out over other parts of England with further routes planned through till September. Possibly the highest profile salute to date though occurred on the Sunday of this year’s British Grand Prix at Silverstone – a slot normally reserved for the Red Arrows. Totally appropriate in the current circumstances, the Spitfire’s message was exclusively seen by F1’s multi-million world-wide TV audience, as sadly no spectators were allowed at this year’s event.
Key Magazine Content for August
- Marshalls create Fat Albert from former RAF Hercules C5 ZH885
- FAA issues emergency directive for Boeing NG and Classic stored aircraft
- Tales of the unexpected – a Defiant gunner’s story
- Ray Hanna – Merlin Maestro 28-8-28 – 1-12-05
- Chinook “hit power lines” but still made successful emergency landing
- RAF Horsham St Faith Open Day 1957
- Norwich International Airport 2020
- John O’Groats to Lands End
- Norwich Airport showing some signs of recovery
- Boeing Update
Norwich Airport Photos by Andrew Elphick
Norwich Airport Reports by Andrew Elphick